Tyres

Non PDA member access posting area.

Tyres

Postby Midgetmax » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm building a 924 for the 360 MRC 6 hour race in April (one of the cars Gwyn alludes to on another thread) and am wondering about tyres. Due to budgetary restraints (there is no budget LOL) the car will be basically very, very standard, heavy and underpowered. I'm trying to decide on 1A or 1B tyres. Two Qs:

1. Would one set of 1Bs last the whole race, around 400 miles

2. What happens with your control tyres in a typical Snetterton monsoon? Do they shift enough water to be safe or will I need to change to a 1B for wets?

Thanks for your help

Max Tyler
Midgetmax

Re: Tyres

Postby Steve b » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi

I'm afraid I cant coment on the difference between the compounds as we only use the harder one! However a set of tyres is usually well past its best after 4 race meetings. i.e. 4 hours running (1x 20 min Q + 2 x 20 min races at each meeting). Admitedly these are sprint conditions and you might get more if you drive carefully. Snet is hard on LH tyres so maybe take 1 pair of LH's to swap over mid race

We run on the same tyres in all weather conditions. Wet performance is surprisingly good but standing water can be a problem. the river across bom hole is exiting on worn tyres!

not what you wanted to hear sorry!!

Steve
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." ~ Stirling Moss
Steve b

Re: Tyres

Postby Midgetmax » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 pm

Exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks! Great info, cheers.

Max
Midgetmax

Return to Guests