Heat reduction inthe engine bay

Where do I put this spare bolt? Good old technical help and advice from those in the know?

Re: Heat reduction inthe engine bay

Postby Porsche917 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 pm

As thought my mate has come up with a very nice clean (looks new) 944 radiator from the back of his garage - no idea what year or version of 944 it came off- nice ali coil and plastic sides. Have started getting my head around fitting it - thanks for the advice re; bracket and thermostat Gwyn,(what does the 3mm hole actually do?) Have noted the hoses are bigger coming off the 944 radiator. So, do I get bigger hoses and reducers to come from bigger to smaller (more clips and junctions) or will the 924 hoses go on with a bit of pursuasion? I'm starting to enjoy this whole tinkering thing.....924's are quite enjoyable even when they're just sitting in the garage!
Cheers
Geoff
Porsche917

Postby Adam Southgate » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Geoff,

The hole in the thermo aids bleeding - means you can do it without running the engine up to temp and blowing steam everywhere, just fill the system up then blow pressure into the header tank whilst holding your thumb over the overflow nozzle until water flows out of the bleed hole. Doesn't taste very good, but works a treat!

I've got a set of reducers on my '44 rad, with the lower one going from rad to water pump incorporating a drain tap - meaning i can drain the system with no spillage. Don't try to force 924 hoses on, they'll split after time if not immediately!

Adam
Adam Southgate

Postby Porsche917 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi Adam
Thanks for the advice/pointers - kind of thought I would cause myself lots of problems trying to force the 924 hoses on....should have everything ready for Rockingham - away sunning myself for two weeks and then back for final re- assembly of the car, rolling road, set up and then RACING again. Snetterton seems a long time ago! My only concern is that I'll have absolutely no excuses now.
Cheers
Geoff
Porsche917

Postby Adam Southgate » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Yeah tell me about it! I should finally be back racing at Rockingham too, Snett really was a long time ago! Mine is straight again after the brakes 'issue'. Rolling road at the weekend, set-up and racing for me too - can't wait!!
Adam Southgate

Postby Porsche917 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi All
Got my lovely rebuilt engine put back in the car, all plumbed in oiled an watered. The moment of thruth arrived this morning at 11 o'clock. Turned the key let the fuel pump do its thing - turned the ignition and..... turns over sort of makes a pop and a plink like it wants to start but won't. Have tried/checked everything I can think of, tried to start a dozen times with the same result. (don't wan't to root the starter solenoid) It acts like it wants to start makes some of the right noises but just does not quite catch. HELP - anyone got any thoughts?? Jayson's guy rebuilt it and Jay reckoned it was 'set up to fire up'.
All responses gratefully received - booked for the rolling road on Monday - would be good if it was running....otherwise I'll have to sit there and make engine noises for an whole hour.
Cheers
Geoff (Cole) Hanson
NASCAR wanna be
Porsche917

Postby Steve b » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Ok Geoff

Sounds like the timings a tad out.

1st off put the engine at TDC and check No1 cylinder is on compression (notch on cam pully lines up with pointer on rocker cover) Take the dizzy cap off and check that the rotor arm is pointing vaigly in the direction of the No 1 plug lead. if it is....put it back on again!

Mark the position of the dizzy with a scribe mark or pen. this means you can return it to its original position if this dosent work!

Loosen the bolt that secures the dizzy and then nip it up so you can turn the dizzy but its not rattling around.

Get an assistant to sit in the car and press the starter so its turning over (ignition and fuel on as well! )

As the engine is turning over turn the distributor 1st clockowise, no more than about 20 degrees if it dosent fire try rotating it the other way.

Any loud pops and backfires....stop and check the plug leads are in the right order!

Once running retighten the dizzy bolt. As you have just installed the engien You will 1st have to bleed the cooling system which means getting it up to temperature and bleeding the air out again as per the haynes description. Then if you have a timing light you can set the timing as per the haynes manual.

If not let it warm up, bleed the cooling system, have a check for leaks, and let the rolling road man set it up!

Steve
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." ~ Stirling Moss
Steve b

Postby Porsche917 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:27 am

Thanks Steve - will try what you suggest....fingers crossed.
Cheers
G
Porsche917

Postby Porsche917 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:52 am

Good news. Spent two hours on the rolling road yesterday - the engine ran great! Think I'd done a Bart Simpson when reassembling had not got the air box thingy Jubilee clip tightened properly as the moulding was not seated down (awkward little beast isn't it?) so air mix was wrong.....DOH!
So, set up tomorrow, track day shake down Friday and ROCKINGHAM Saturday afternoon for fun on Sun and Mon!!!! Yay!
Thank you to everyone for advice, tips and general banter getting the machinery back together - see you this weekend.
Cheers
Geoff
Porsche917

Previous

Return to Toolbox