Rectangular rubber bushings on rear suspension

Where do I put this spare bolt? Good old technical help and advice from those in the know?

Rectangular rubber bushings on rear suspension

Postby Adam Southgate » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am

An interesting question for the new forum...

On the rear suspension mounting flange (the odd shaped metal bit which carries the main bushing), there is a 'U' shaped cut-out at the rear (in the wheel arch). usually, a small block of rubber sits in this area, between the flange and the chassis, held in place via a bolt thru the 'U' shaped hole (hope this is making sense...!).

http://www.924.id.lv/Heynes%20Manual%20 ... tm#_10_018 (between 15 and 16, there is a exploded diagram of the rear suspension and flange, though this block of rubber is missing)

Here's the kicker - I forgot to fit these when mounting my rear suspension, and there is no way to post-fit them. So, what do they do, and do i need to fit them in?

Cheers,
Adam
Adam Southgate

Re: Rectangular rubber bushings on rear suspension

Postby dhmotorsport » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 pm

They might be NVH blocks to cut down vibration and road noise?
dhmotorsport

Postby Steve b » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Only worry would be that without the rubber blocks in place the clearance to the body may be incorrect (big gap) and in tightening the bolt you have pre loaded the casting ot the torsion tube.

Did you notice it pulling up a long way when you did then up?

Steve
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." ~ Stirling Moss
Steve b

Postby gwynsms » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Adam
Those blocks provide a torque reaction connection to the shell from the torsion bars and to a lesser extent from wheels driving/braking. So itd be a good plan to have some form of spacer in there as Steve implies, the gap needs filling. Otherwise, the casting is in danger of fracturing. :cry:

Gwyn
gwynsms

Return to Toolbox