Temperature Guage

Where do I put this spare bolt? Good old technical help and advice from those in the know?

Temperature Guage

Postby dhmotorsport » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:16 pm

My temperature guage (the factory one in the dash, I don't have a wizz-bang fancy doodle one with numbers and accuracy yet - sorry Gwyn) has power going to it as it jumps when you switch the ignition on but it doesn't move as the car warms up, so where does it plug into the water system to measure the temp? I've run it up hot enough that the fan comes on but the temp gauge hasn't moved so I'm pretty sure it's not connected to anything at the engine end.

Any ideas what the connector looks like and where in the engine bay I might find it?

Last odds and sods tonight then running in the new engine in a weeks time at BH. Change of oil and filters then onto the rolling road for a tune then I'm ready for 2011! Can't wait, this has been a long year not on track.

David
dhmotorsport

Re: Temperature Guage

Postby Steve b » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Dave

From memory its been a while and I have a fancy billy wiz gauge of the header pipe!!

Conveniently the temperature sender is located on the back of the cylinder head where you can just about get your hand in enough to take the top of your knuckles!

Actually you might find it easier to get under the car and reach up from below.

incidentally there is another temp sensor on the bypass pipe near the back of the engine, this is part of the cold start system and does not feed the gauge.

Enjoy

Steve
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." ~ Stirling Moss
Steve b

Postby dhmotorsport » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:08 pm

Cheers Steve, it's still up in the air at the moment so it'll be easy to check from underneath.
dhmotorsport

Postby A.Kirkham » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi David.
The connection on the sender unit on the back of the head usually has a slip-on connection - you may well find it has just come off. If you find that you need a new sender unit try Euro Car Parts or GSF - they should only cost a few quid (same part as most VW engines of the 70's/80's)
See you next season, Alastair.
A.Kirkham

Postby Ricoboy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Hello Guys,

Just getting my settings for car sorted! It will sit the same as all yours next year.
Was just wondering how stiff to go with the springs and rear tor bars etc? Any input would be good but dont tell Paul. :lol:

RJ
Ricoboy

Postby Steve b » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:19 pm

paul dosent change his settings he just changes his car!
400lb fronts and 30mm rears should see you right. if you cant find the 30mm rears a set of 968cs ,27mm i think will do. anti roll bars are up to you but i wouldnt go too stiff just yet oohh errr missus
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." ~ Stirling Moss
Steve b

Postby martinhall » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 am

Hi there,

New torsion bars are available (or used to be) from Pelican Parts in America. Its really good fun changing them, especially getting the initial ride height somewhere near correct so that the nut and bolt adjustment have enough to fine tune.

Detailed instructions on the initial setting of the torsion bars is available on the internet. Just remember, one tooth forward, three teeth back (I think!) Before touching anything make a carboard template of the angle that the arm is originally and use this to check the basic setting of the new torsion bars.

Mart
martinhall

Postby dhmotorsport » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 pm

All sorted, temp guage works again, it was just the lead that hadn't been reconnected when we put the engine back in. Doh!
dhmotorsport

Return to Toolbox