Brakes - getting the best out of pads

Toe in - toe out - what's it all about - and more!

Brakes - getting the best out of pads

Postby Porsche917 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi all Carbone Lorraine pad users ...
I'm after some basic advice re; bedding in a set of new pads(considering the problems getting them and the price the last set before I make the swith to EBC for next year).....these are costly pads - what's the best way to treat them to get the best/monies worth out of them?
Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Geoff
Porsche917

Re: Brakes - getting the best out of pads

Postby Steve b » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Geoff

I've found the CL's are much less sensetive to bedding in than the EBC's.

A couple of gentle laps in qualifying seems to be sufficient to bring them in. Whereas the EBC's have a very specific bedding procedure requiring a 24 hour cooling off period I think! Ask Jay he swears by EBC's.

In an Ideal world you world you would always have a spair set of Bedded pads to hand just in case you find yourself needing them at a race meeting, you dont want to be putting brand new EBC pads in just before a race! but its not always possible, so I prefere the C/L's if nothing you can actually race on them from new!

I have also found the C/L's dont like disks which have been run with EBC's I suspect the EBC pad material on the disk is incompatible with C/L's. You may find a similar effect going ftom C/L to EBC.

Whats the problem with cost by the way? Ive done half a season on a set of C/L's thats not bad value for race pads!

Anyaway if you havent put them in yet Let me know how much you want for them I might be interested!

Steve
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." ~ Stirling Moss
Steve b

Postby Porsche917 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Steve
Phew I feel better about the cost - I was up picking up my engine from Jay the other day and he was telling me how much they pay for a set of EBC's. Having just received my back ordered set of Carbonnes from Demon Tweeks I was slightly nonplussed when I realised I could have a whole truck load of EBC's for the cost of a set of Carbonnes. Kind of took the view that it might be worth making the change on the basis of cost alone.....but you've reassured me that they are a good usable pad. I took the view that MAtt won a championship on them - and you CL users seem to go fast (and more important stop too). Think I'll stick with the CL's for the rest of the year at least. Have a reasonable set on the car at the moment but thought it'd be sensible to have a new set bedded in and ready.
Cheers
Geoff
Porsche917

Postby martinhall » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:24 pm

HI there,

I have learnt the hard way, always change the disks with a change of pad make. I really had a big problem when I changed from Mintex to EBC, and then to Carbonne Lorraine. Check the disks carefully, any cracks - bin them, theyre not a fortune. You may also want to change the brake fluid on a regular basis too. A few gentle laps with new pads and disks have usually bedded them in. Not like the rally car I had which needed the disks to be cherry red with Ferrodo DS11's!!!

Mart
martinhall

Return to Racing Tips And Tricks